Sunday, July 5, 2009

Fanboy & Evangalist Weighs in on Moonlight and Chrome OS

When I convince a friend to put Ubuntu on their older computer, I inevitably get asked if it can do everything that Windows can do. My response will include, "Yes, except play your Netflix Instant Watch movies."

In Linux adoption, this shortcoming becomes the lynch pin: a good avenue in which to deny Linux a fair shake. Consequently, instead of installing Linux, I endThis process can take days and will still not compare to a clean XP install. I don't start to seriously lament until I am scanning their computer for viruses for the first time since 2004. But, I digress.

Mono, and subsequently Moonlight, represent Linux's pursuit for compatibility. In Battlestar Galactica, Cylon technology was incorporated into human technology; MS and Linux need to wage peace. In the end, the evil Cylons are going to die off. Long live the hybrids!

Speaking of hybrids...

Google Chrome OS is going to flip the industry on it's head. It's has the business leverage of Microsoft with the glory that is open source. I predict the OS will become the catalyst needed to get hardware companies to make open source drivers. Who knows, maybe retail games will jump on board.

Until Microsoft ports their DRM stacks over to Linux, I'm just going to wait and watch Netflix Instant Watch with an XBMC hack. But, for the group of people who want Ubuntu to "just work," mono development seems to be the path to integration: dark and stormy as it may be.

If R2D2 can't plug into the Deathstar's computer mainframe, we all lose.

D9C

No comments: