Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Logging into Windows with Ubuntu

I've replaced my iPod (gen4) charger and now listen to Linux Reality on the bus rides to work. I discovered that I can log onto Windows machines through my Ubuntu OS via remote windows login protocol.

While studying the VNC podcast. I decided to bring the question to Fluther. Did some digging in the forums and found my gem:

irish_flu
Quad Shot of Ubuntu

Re: VNC into Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek0nomik View Post
I have the same problem. I'd appreciate any feedback on how to control a Windows XP computer from Ubuntu.

You're asking a different question than the original poster was, as that person has installed extra software called VNC on the Windows boxes.

If you want to control a Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, or Windows Vista box then there's already software installed by default in Ubuntu that can do that for you.

It's called "Terminal Server Client" and it works just like "remote Desktop Connection" in Windows. You must make sure that your Windows machine is set up to accept incoming Remote Desktop requests from whatever user you wish to use, but other than that you're golden.


I am often called up by friends of mine looking to help them with there system. I realize Linux is not for everyone and I try to offer assistance whenever I can. I also don't want to bus it across town to trouble shoot someone's issues.

So my project is to get this working on my intranet and then onto remote logins from anywhere via the internet. That would allow me to assist Windows users with there many, many virus/spyware related problems from my home.

Surprising as it may or may not sound, the average user could benefit greatly from an Ubuntu system.

D9C

Soul Calibur IV, July 29th

No comments: