Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Envy: my saving grace

Linux

I made a decision to install Sabayon Linux on my machine to dual boot two Linux operating systems. The potential bonus is that through correct installation I can use both flavors of Linux to manage my one home folder.


The downside, I realize now, is that Sabayon doesn't recognize my Ubuntu installation. It installs itself and never asks you if you want to dual boot.

My fix was to reinstall the Ubuntu system. I had to reconfigure grub during the initial reboot.
Dual booting with Sabayon NOT recommended !!!
In addition, I haven't even played around with Sabayon because it's missing title bars on all my windows.
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
was already put in xorg.conf - but still none of my windows have a title bar and I don't know the system well enough to get the Nvidia drives up to date. overall, not a smooth experience.

When reinstalling, I decided to move back to 64 bit Ubuntu since I thought it would give me a speed boost.

Envy saved my ass!
if it were 6 months ago. I would have had to reboot Ubuntu (again). Something got fucked up in my xorg.conf file and the X server wasn't loading. My first step was to got to /etc/X11/ and swap out the current xorg.conf with a backup.
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup.broken
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf

When that didn't work I started stressing out! then I remembered that I had installed Envy and could reload my Nvidia drivers.
At the command prompt after the xorg failure I typed
envy -t
I did a clean install and everything is working. If only it worked with Sabayon....

I've also created a Virtual Machine of my old copy of XP. Very handy

Virtual Machine in Linux running XP

Rugby


Rugby is going well. I'm not in shape. I was tackling girls at their practice last week and I could tell my shoulders need work. I felt that distinct sting of joints and ligaments not being strong enough.

Nonetheless, I had such a great time running around. Our season practices start at the end of this month.

I am working as a security guard at the Balls Out Ball. Should be fun.



Marketing

Marketing world is going well for VoodooLogic. If you put VoodooLogic in TouchGraph, it is evident that I'm well versed in the social marketing scene.

My Trailfire is present and only gets larger as I can add more online resources to the chain of links.

Splashcast is showing A LOT of potential. This is my newest adoption for online marketing.



- - who said that'd be big??? Oh right, ME - - I




With the utilization of RSS video feeds can deliver wildly dynamic content to everyone.

With Myspace, it offers me the ability to embed a video comment, then change the contents of the video at a later time. It creates an increased level of exposure to all of the Fog's content, delivers the most updated information, and it makes less work for me.

Imagine, instead of putting out whole new comments for the Fog's 498 friends, I can just change the Splashcast video and having every embedded player show my latest content.

I have two accounts right now, one for the Fog and the other for VoodooLogic.

Sometimes I get to wishing that I could just have the VoodooLogic account and create a separate channel for rugby. This would bring all the credit back to me. However, it would take pull that creative power from anyone who came after me.
Maybe I should...

No comments: