Sunday, July 29, 2007

Walk Like a Man: Blood, Sweat, and Queers

There is a movement going on that started with the San Francisco Fog. Another revolutionary leap of the gay community and their place culture; and in our case, gays and sports.

The International Gay Rugby Association and Board had a tournament last year called the Bingham Cup.

Take a moment to recognize for yourself what is more cheeky, the acronym IGRAB or that fact that gay rugby is international.

The Fog retained the cup since it's inception in 2003. The first tournament was with 6 teams and has progressed competitively and in media presence. It now boasts over 30 IGRAB teams participating from all over the world to share the camaraderie of rugby, Party, compete, check out hotties, and to honor the tournament's namesake, Mark Bingham. Bingham was our teammate before his death on Sept 11, 2001.


In preparation for the tournament, training and mental focus was incredible. All fires burned to illuminate the goals of honor and victory. This fire was put to focus by our head coach, Sean the Fat (STF), who recently became a father. My congratulations. Under his coaching, I understood what the word team could really represent.


This is where the story shifts back to the media. The folks at Lost in Vision have been in post production of a film called, Walk Like a Man: Blood, Sweat, and Queers. It is a documentary of the 2006 Bingham Cup in New York City, NY.


As a Graduate from the Washington State University School of Communications, this is what I speak of when I say, “Anticipating the fruits of my generation.” I contemplate the film's venue well as my place in its content. Don't misunderstand me, I am comfortable in my role on a gay rugby team. I'm convinced the film will show I played to the best of my abilities, I'm just worried about my image when playing off the pitch. ;-)

My hope for the film is that we smash the gay stereo type, then hurl the broken chunks at Dick Cheney's motorcade as he drives to the next GOP fund raising event. A media sledgehammer is a preferable tool when renovating corrupt democracy.





Media exposure is just more beginnings for the Fog whom, just this last season, adopted a successful women's side. I'm excited for the film to help bang the rainbow-colored gong, waking people from their media fostered stereo types.

In spirit of beginnings, I can't give away the ending, but please check out the trailer.






Did you catch me 10 seconds into the trailer? nobody on the field did. ;)

D9C




No comments: